Salem Academy and College the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls in women in the country by its founding date of 1772 invites applications for Athletics Director. The job reports to the Chief Enrollment Officer and Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country. Since 1772, the institution has engaged in transformational change to innovate women’s education. Founded with the mission of making education accessible to all, Salem has a rich 251-year-old history and a long-standing track record of educating students who are prepared to make a bold impact locally, nationally and globally through liberal arts education. Our graduates are committed to making the world a better, healthier and more equitable place. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of health leaders.
Salem College has more than 40 full-time faculty and over 150 staff members who support approximately 500 students including full-time undergraduates, part-time students and graduate programs. Salem recently received the largest philanthropic gift in its history with a $5M anonymous donation focused on enabling our health leadership transformation as well as a $3.6M estate gift to support the College. Salem completed its 250th-anniversary campaign this year exceeding a $12.5M goal.
U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Rankings, ranked Salem College No. 1 among all National Liberal Arts Colleges in America as a Top Performer on Social Mobility. Our institution has rapidly moved up the national ranking for Social Mobility, from No. 10 in 2020 and No. 4 in 2021 to No. 1 in 2022. Salem College is also ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 2 National Liberal Arts College in North Carolina. Salem has been ranked among the top three National Liberal Arts Colleges in North Carolina for the past seven years. In addition, Salem College was ranked 6th in the nation for college affordability last year.
Salem College is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known as the “City of Arts and Innovation”. Winston-Salem is a lively academic community, home to six institutions of higher education and more than 26,000 students. Winston Salem has a collaborative and engaged academic community with strong private and public schools, excellent healthcare systems, and affordable housing. The Winston-Salem area also offers a rich variety of cultural opportunities and has a vibrant art and restaurant scene. Within a few hours of campus are mountains for skiing, camping, or hiking; rivers for whitewater rafting; and the beautiful ports and beaches of North and South Carolina.
The Athletic Director at Salem College is responsible for leading the athletic department in meeting the enrollment, competition, academic, and well-being goals associated with athletics. The Athletic Director will supervise coaches and support student athletes pursuant to the mission, vision, values, and strategic directions of the Institution and Athletic Department and within the guidelines and principles of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III and USA South Conference. The Director ensures overall program compliance with NCAA and USA South Athletic Conference policies and procedures. The Director is responsible for developing and supervising the sport sponsorships and athletic administration at the Institution. The Director manages the coaches of Salem College athletics teams. The Director will also collaborate with other campus leaders to develop the College’s Health Leadership transformation and to help the institution meet its strategic goals. As part of these goals, the Director oversees recreation and the fitness center, working in collaboration with Student Affairs and other wellness staff to ensure programming. The Director will serve as a relationship partner with all constituencies in advancing and promoting Salem athletics and the mission of the Institution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead, plan, manage, administer, and direct all aspects of the Salem College Athletic Department, including the recruitment and retention of College student athletes; the hiring and supervision of coaches, advancement of promotional and fund-raising efforts; and other internal and external activities.
- Coordinate Salem athletic events, programs, recognition and award presentations, and banquets. For example, plan and implement “Hall of Fame” induction ceremonies in collaboration with the President and Institutional Advancement. Collaborate with the Admissions, Advancement and Marketing Departments to promote athletic events.
- Work cooperatively with the College Office of Admissions and Student Affairs to support the recruitment and retention of collegiate student athletes, including projecting and achieving team recruitment goals.
- Ensure campus compliance with NCAA Division III regulations, Title IX for athletes and athletic staff, Institutional policies, and/or other applicable local, state, and federal athletics-related regulations and requirements; ensure necessary reports are filed to include EADA filing and all reports for NCAA. Establish, review, enforce and oversee Athletic Department policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and oversee the school’s competitive athletic programs along with sports camps and clinics as scheduled.
- Work with the Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness to identify new sports, analyze their potential, and develop business pro formas for their launch and operation.
- Work with the Assistant Director of Athletics and Director of Sports Communication and Marketing on the scheduling of game day managers to ensure effective game day administration.
- Prepare and oversee the annual budget for the Athletic Department with the Assistant Director of Athletics. Ensure that each program conforms equally to Salem budgetary guidelines and programs are cost effective.
- Create, implement, and assess annual goals and outcomes for the Athletic Department.
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing model to effectively accomplish Salem’s goals and objectives; and hire, recruit, employ, train, supervise and evaluate departmental staff.
- Provide staff development opportunities and build cohesion between all Athletic Department coaches and staff members; hold regular departmental meetings, as needed, and communicate updates between meetings to foster a higher educational environment.
- Represent the College at NCAA and USA South Conference meetings and conferences.
- As needed, work with the Dean of the College and Exercise Science faculty to determine needs for physical education courses and identify instructors for those courses.
- Be innovative and demonstrate a willingness to learn and utilize the latest information within athletics to maintain a health leadership minded approach.
- Serve on the institutional Leadership Council at the invitation of the President.
- Engage with the Faculty Athletic Representative (FAR) to foster student-athlete success and strengthen academic performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degree required
- Minimum of five years of administrative experience preferably as a Director, an Assistant Athletics Director, or Senior Women’s Administrator
- Understanding of and ability to work successfully in a women’s sports environment
- Proficiency with NCAA Division III rules and regulations
- Proven track record of strong leadership, management, and supervisory skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications, organizational, and computer skills
- Demonstrated experience with athletic recruitment and collaboration with Admissions
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and inspire coaches
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a high degree of cultural competence and respect for a wide range of identities and experiences
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills with the ability to deliver information in a clear, concise, and professional manner to multiple stakeholder groups
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Experience as a college coach or student athlete strongly preferred
While performing the responsibilities of the Athletics Director, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 25 pounds; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, view a computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications to email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately, with priority consideration given to materials received by October 15th.”
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.